Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, I took your feedback on the idea of flyering cars, added a drop of gut instinct, and decided it was a bad idea. I am now looking into a targeted direct mail campaign. It'll be more expensive, of course, but I'll feel a lot better about.

Regading ShelbyBoy's comments about privacy and video surveillance and the like: No, I don't want to start off our business with _any_ problems caused by our marketing. I don't want ill will, lawsuits, or any other kind of negativity, of course, which is the reason I decided against flyering.

So, since you asked, ShelbyBoy, the business I'm starting is a weight loss support group for low-carb dieters. It's modeled much like Weight Watchers, where members pay to attend a weekly group meeting. Various books and low-carb products will be available for sale at each meeting, but I believe the bulk of our income will be from meeting fees.

Besides the current plans for a possible direct mail campaign, I've handed out several hundred flyers to friends and family, who have offered to give them out to their friends and coworkers who might be interested. I'm putting up flyers on the community bulletin boards around town. I will also be handing out discount referral cards to members, to give members a free week when a friend joins, and to give the friend 50% off membership fees.

My sister-in-law is a press secretary, so she's helping put together a press release and compiling for me a list of press contacts. We've just started on this, so I'm not sure exactly where it will lead. A news story would be wonderful, of course.

Do y'all have any other ideas? I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

I apologize in advance for my clumsiness in all this, as I'm so very new to business ownership, but I appreciate your comments.

Thanks a lot,
PrrpleGrrl

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.