Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, if she is on track to maybe possibly qualify for the Olympics, yes she is an Elite Gymnast. Did she perhaps qualify for the 2004 National Elite Training Squad? If so, yes that is a huge accomplishment although I doubt that means she is going to the Olympics this time around. The US has a really strong women's program at the moment.

The way it works for girls/women now is that there are 10 levels. There are requirements at each level to pass to the next. Levels 1, 2 and 3 do not compete. The skills they work on are "easy" - to make sure the gymnast has a good grounding in the basics. I think competition starts at level 4 (used to be 5). Those girls will compete locally. As you move up to higher levels you will compete at larger meets against peole from farther away in the country. After level 10 you can become elite. I'm only vaguely familiar with the current rules and stuff because back in the day when I was competing we had a completely different system (Class IV, III, II, I, elite mainly although there was also the whole III C[ompulsory] and III O[ptional] split and the Advanced Optional category) and the overarching organization had a different name (old = United States Gymnastics Federation - USGF; new = USA Gymnastics).

If you want to see the whole path to qualifying for this year's Olympics, you can find it on the USA Gymnastics web site. http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/organization/selectionprocedures-wag04-19-04.pdf I will warn you that it seems sort of complicated all written out the way it is. I am a die hard gymnastics fan and even I didn't try to figure it all out. I figure that some commentator at one of the televised competitions will break it down into its essentials for me.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.