No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, I'm no Boston Chicken expert, but let's look at the statistics for these sorts of stocks in general. It's fairly common that bankrupt companies end up with worthless common stock even if they eventually recover -- they actually reissue new stock. So there's a very real chance that you'll lose your last .65 even if the company recovers. In any case, losing companies generally continue to lose. Even with all new management, etc. etc. if the company couldn't make it the first time there's no reason to believe that it'll suddenly be wonderful the second time. Statistically you're better cutting your losers and moving the money into something with a better future. Many small investors hate to do that, because until they sell they can pretend to themselves that it's just a paper loss and not real etc. etc. but statistically speaking they're better off admitting they were wrong and going forward with something else.

So the pros for selling are:
1. You can take the tax loss if you are in a taxable account.
2. You free up the money to go do something else.

The cons are:
1. You miss out on the possible gain of Boston Chicken.
2. You feel stupid. If you are smart enough to post asking for help I bet you'll get over this one quickly. :)

So if it's a taxable account it's a easy decision - I bet the tax loss is of greater value than any boston chicken gains. And even if it's not, the chances of boston chicken's current common stock beating the S&P over, say, the next five years is small enough that it doesn't seem like a good gamble. Heck, if you take that money and spend it at Vegas at least you'll have fun and know if you won right away. :)

Oh, the other way to look at selling is "would I still buy if I were starting the investment today". BOSTQ was delisted in December, and elsewhere on the Fool you can read argument after argument for why buying delisted stocks is a Really Bad Bad Idea.

Doug
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.