Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Well, I'm not sure overall how I feel about PDS at this point, but I wouldn't sell it just based on natural gas price. For one thing, prices have been rising significantly since last spring, more than doubling since then, from below $2.00 to $4.24 on the spot market now. It's taken a major jump just in the last 2-3 months. See the spot price graph, the second one down:

http://www.eia.gov/naturalgas/weekly/#tabs-prices-1

Also, PDS rigs are used for both oil and natural gas, so their business is basically dependent on total drilling activity for either. I wouldn't focus just on natural gas.

PDS saw demand for both oil and natural gas drilling decline last year, so the question is whether that will continue. Meanwhile they have been upgrading their fleet by retiring Tier 2 and 3 rigs and adding Tier 1 rigs, resulting in an ability to charge more. So they are investing in better margins and dayrates down the road.

I guess the question is whether you want exposure to overall drilling activity (oil and gas) in North America. If you think drilling is in decline, you'll want to stay away. If you think drilling is on a long term up-trend, PDS is probably a good way to invest in that trend.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.