Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, in many states, passing on the right (which you "detest") is illegal, and therefore you weren't doing things "by the book" in one sense.

Not in FL it isn't.

From the DMV's driver handbook:
Passing on the right is only legal when there are two or more lanes of traffic moving in the same direction or the vehicle you are passing is making a left turn. Pulling off the roadway to pass on the right is against the law.

you feel entitled to do speed bursts up to including 130 mph (with a passenger, no less).
You're being too kind....I was thinking "idiotic" and "asinine" more appropriate.

There are many places in this world where it is perfectly legal and <gasp> common to travel at speeds up to and <double gasp> exceeding 130mph on public roads. If conditions permit (straight road, good weather, good visibility, no traffic, mechanically sound vehicle), there is very little added danger.

Obviously, I wasn't in one of those places, so I don't defend the legality of my actions. But I didn't put any other vehicles at risk (it was an open stretch of road), and stayed within a safe range for the vehicle I was operating. You guys seem to be operating under that widely held american belief that no one can ever travel safely at high speeds.

As I asked before, what would you have done after another driver threatened you with their vehicle? I chose to distance myself from any potential conflict. Slowing down would have been a temporary solution at best, as I would have caught them again when I resumed normal highway speed.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.