Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Well it's always an interesting nexus when conservative agrees with liberal, but I think Goofy has this right. I'm one likely to be means tested, but have supported in our home for the last 20+ years a MIL who has nothing but SS.

She is highly educated for her time and worked for much of her life. Through the circumstances of a bad marriage and the special needs of a child/adult, as well as being "taken" by an investment thief, she has NOTHING. SS makes it barely livable and we make it better. Medicare is amazing for her.

I agree that we extended the SS system and didn't fund that. SS is MUCH easier to fix than Medicare (which is equally if not more important).

We each have our own financial planning assumptions. Mine include SS and assume that it will be totally taxed at my withdrawal rates, which will be higher. After seeing Grandma, and assuming that she represents many others, that's the least I can do. Welfare? I was on a SS commission decades ago and read the original legislation and discussion. Goofy's interpretation, IMO is right. We have fixed a colossal problem with our destitute poor, aren't making anyone rich by ANY means, and should work on fixing it. Frankly, we did it while helping me (one of the lucky ones) a little too.

Hockeypop
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.