Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well it's doubtless HC/APAP is addictive if left unmonitored; how Brett Farve (the QB) ended up taking them like candy, for months and months, until he himself realized he was addicted, and had the courage to kick his habit and warn the public, took a lot of guts.

But this media frenzy hurts innocent patients on a variety of notorious drugs, and their doctors, by making them so fearful the doctor doesn't want to prescribe it and the patient doesn't want to take it.

The Pt. would do much better on OxyContin T. 1 daily in the AM; we all know analgesia on a scheduled, rather than PRN basis is less likely to lead to problems down the road. (Or do we?) Or the lowest dose of the Duragesic patches.

As far as the carisoprodol goes, I can say on my own behalf it does work, as does methcarbamol, but I don't believe I've ever taken either for more than a month. Pt. exhibits greatly improved range of motion, functionality, and less pain and spasm when on the drug than when not taking it; he doesn't exhibit drug seeking behaviors at all, and generally has to be reminded to take his meds.

Every NSAID through the COX-2 inhibitors have been ineffective and poorly tolerated; cyclobenzeprine was the predictable nightmare; tramadol was poorly tolerated and not effective; propoxyphene and Talwin received similarly poor reviews.

SL buprenorphine worked extremely well, and 1 dose in the morning managed the pain all day for the pt; on a very rare day he might need 1/2 T. hs in addition.

So I guess you answered my question- carisoprodol seems to be a prize drug of abuse, and that's why there's some hesitancy to presribe it. Maybe it does work chiefly through CNS depressant effects, but, it does work. It's a shame.

RSH.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.