Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, I've gotten some information but i cannot say I completely understand the full extent of the tax ramifications ----- royalty trusts are a form of limited partnership. I believe the taxation situation would mirror that for master limited partnerships - where taxable income/loss is distributed and is reported via a K-1 form. Within an IRA, the income earned has to be related to the status of the account ---- so investment income is tax-exempt. However, income generated from the operation of a business can be considered as unrelated to the exempt status of the account. In essence, the income is treated as unrelated business taxable income. Exempt accounts can generate up to $1000. per year in unrelated business taxable income without tax but beyond $1000 the account would be required to pay taxes at corporate rates.

you probably want to check this with a tax accountant but I think there may be other investments that may make more sense in an IRA.

If your looking for income with a degree of tax-deferral outside of an IRA, this looks intriguing.

Good luck
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.