Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

We'll likely add in limit-order capability in time. The aim of CAPS is not to bias itself toward any specific investment style, but rather to serve as a laboratory of experiment, and a Great Big Fishbowl, of sorts. That said, if CAPS has any bias it is to house and feature meaningful intelligence from our community, so we don't put a lot of priority on serving very short-term oriented actions, as they're very ephemeral and don't particularly lead to useful output for others. The 7-day rule is admittedly not a "real-world" investment rule, but does add a nice mental check for our participants that increases their credibility with others. In effect, you're being forced to commit to (quite a small) increment of time where you let your prediction or thought stick. I was reminded of its benefits earlier today, when I took a deep breath and clicked "Outperform" on AVNR (check out that stock!). Knowing that it could trade in a highly crazy and erratic manner, I nevertheless knuckled under and made myself accountable... for at least a week, anyway. Others viewing my actions probably trust and "believe" a bit more knowing that I have had to stay accountable for the stock's performance not just for an afternoon, but a week.

So CAPS perhaps more than anything is seeking to elicit meaningful intelligence of at least a minimal duration. But so far as "value bias" or "growth bias" or "fundamental bias" or "technical bias" we are attempting agnosticism. The lack of limit-order capability does not reflect a design choice, but rather a prioritization choice -- we can build everything at once!

Fool on,

David G. 

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.