Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Well, many widely disseminated comments by Zuckerberg are a good start (the Holocaust Denial comment being the most recent).

I don't know anything about this, so I used the internet and came up with the Guardian (which I don't know either, other than when they reported about Jordan Peterson vs. Cathy Newman they intentionally misquoted his stance/views even though the interview itself was a public record and so you could see exactly what he said, but the reporter didn't seem to mind mixing fantasy into reality, so based on one single example - highly unfair - it make me believe the editorial standards were lax - perhaps they need to bring in an outside person to fix this) here:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/19/mark-zuck...

Unfortunately, they don't quote everything I guess, but he said:

“I don’t believe that our platform should take that down because I think there are things that different people get wrong. I don’t think that they’re intentionally getting it wrong … It’s hard to impugn intent and to understand the intent.”

Which makes sense to me. Even racists ought to have access to a platform because policing morality is a very tricky business, but that's just my initial thought. I believe in free speech, even free speech by idiots. Agree, they ought not to tick people off, but we live in an age where people have multiple ventures to express their 'I'm offended by you' views (I try to stay away from people like this).

I am still confused on your comments - FB had added about 10,000 people in the last year, so they are bringing in a lot of outsiders. And 'Buzzfeed' publishing an internal memo - if you'd been party to the sorts of things I've said about my own business at times you would have no faith in me, so I'm not sure of the logic of what you are doing here.

I honestly don't understand your view - I think FB is a really good buy here, and I hope they don't change anything. Agree that they could face fines from time to time - who cares, builds a moat. But I'm basing that on a feeling vs. hard analysis.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.