No. of Recommendations: 5
Well . . . so far at least, it never works to convict a President.

But it did help to get Nixon to resign. Truthfully, the public was already turning on Nixon and he had very little support in Washington. Even if he had not resigned or been impeached, he was going to be pretty powerless. But we did get rid of him quicker because of impeachment.

And I would say that the Republicans accomplished quite a bit by impeaching Clinton. They were able to divert his attention away from other policy matters for several years. Clinton was a distracted President because of the Ken Starr witch hunt. And I think the Democrats in general and Al Gore in particular suffered because of all the press coverage of Clinton being unable to keep his zipper up. I often think how different the world would be today if Al Gore were elected instead of W, and I believe Clinton's zipper problems and impeachment issues contributed to that fiasco election that gave us W and Cheney.

I don't see impeachment being much help with Trump and his cult. We are a different nation now. One filled with fake news, a multi-billion dollar GOP propaganda machine, powerful White Supremacist and Nazi organizations supporting the GOP, and a very ill-informed cult worshiping the President. Even if you could successfully convict Trump, it wouldn't fix those other problems.

Trump is a serious problem for this nation and our Constitution, but he is the short-term problem. Long-term we have a voting bloc of mostly old, white racists who do not seem inclined to learn or reason. Seeing Trump convicted of his many criminal activities might feel good short-term, but it would only exacerbate our long-term problem of stupid Trump cult zombies.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.