Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, such knowledge building isn't as odd as it sounds...... unless you're a Latin scholar or something and your line of work involves stuff that's stayed the same for centuries.

One of the things I found interesting when I got into formal fitness is that exercise science is a rapidly evolving field and if you're interested in it and want to stay current, continued education is pretty much mandatory..... and if you're not interested with no desire to stay current, it's hardly worth the effort because, for sure, it's not the path to wealth and fortune.

Over the past decade or so there's been quite a seed change in the fitness field...... spurred by the challenge that the affiliate/franchise set ups have provided to Big Box gyms. CrossFit being the best known, I guess plus Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength places and all those high street set ups....Orange Theory, Yogapod, Soul Cycle etc. The better places now want educated trainers and group ex. instructors because the paying customer is getting more savvy and demanding. One reason I was as in demand was that I could offer clients and class members a little more than a "one more rep"/"grapevine to the left" type of experience and a bit more than a Men's/Women's Health depth of physiology understanding....... which is a perfectly fine place to start, I might add.

It's an exciting and evolving field to be part of. I'm in Emeritus mode right now. Lost a bit of fitness with the move to Colorado and high altitude, developed AFib (not totally unrelated to altitude, apparently) and got a brand new gig as a granny. Moving back up the fitness ladder now so my formal fitness days may not be behind me.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.