No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, the currently-being-made contributions, which are to be reported for tax year 2000, haven't been characterized as anything yet. I assume that, when we file our 2000 taxes, we at that point claim it either as deductible or non-deductible contributions?

The possibility still exists, for instance, that he might do more union work this year, thus eliminating any possibility of deducting the current contributions. Or, if we decide to roll this money into a Roth, we will "of course" not deduct the currently-being-made contributions. I guess that was what I meant. If I'm not making sense here, forgive my lack of sleep...

As for the initial $2000 contribution, it was made in April 2000 just before tax time but we put it towards tax year 1999. Thought we were so clever until our tax-preparation software started spitting the word "nondeductible" at us. So yes, thanks to the conscientious software, we did report the $2000 as a non-deductible contribution on the proper form, because the software forced us to do it.

OK, so are we dealing with two different pots of money here - the original $2000 and any earnings from it (which would need to be 'recharacterized') and then the additional $200 contributed in 2000, and any earnings therefrom? What happens to that money?
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.