Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, there are (generally) two ways to register "property" - as "joint tenants with right of survivor," and as "tenants in common" (which is presumed to be equally owned by the parties, with no survivorship rights to those who survive one of the parties deaths (i.e. the deceased party can "will" their share to whomever - or it follows the state's statute of descent)). It may be that Computershare has a different designation for "tenants in common" and use JT TEN to indicate "with right of survivor." I'd ask them 1) to verify that their designation of JT TEN is "with right of survivor" and distinct from another designation of "tenants in common" - and if that is the case, have them verify it in writing. If they are "clueless" then escalate it....
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.