Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 56
Well, to be honest kinda stupid emotional reasons! I was up almost 100% in NET and afraid of the imminent drop after the earnings report that I thought was about to come...

Hi Wolf, thanks for your response. It sounds as if you were scared because of the price rise, which is a natural response. But you have to think whether there is a good reason for the price rise, and in this case there was. As I wrote in the KB, I NEVER sell out of a position because it has gone up, or doubled, or whatever. If the position has gotten so large it makes me uncomfortable (like when Zoom hit 31% of my portfolio), I'll trim it, but I won't sell out unless the story has changed. Think of it this way: when Amazon went from $5 to $10 (split adjusted) you might have exited because it was up 100%. Well now it is at $3300 and something. It was up 100% again when it hit $20, and 100% again when it hit $40, and $80, etc. Getting out because the price has gone up really limits your gains.
Best
Saul

A link to the Knowledgebase for this board is in the Announcements panel that is on the right side of every page on this board.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.