Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
Well Wayne some good examples of selective memory at work there...

Not that I think there aren't things we'd agree on:
- substantial mismanagement of the military
- the gun registry botch, although I personally agree with the aims of the program, I'm just plain pissed about how badly they screwed it up
- Failure to deal with bureaucratic bumbling and malfeasance approriately (see the point above plus the sponsorship mess and the privacy commissioner and probably more)

But I don't think there's a single thing on your list I actually agree with.

In terms of the good stuff. First off, just look at the federal treasury, the books are in surplus and even with some increased spending look to stay balanced. When Jean took power nearly 40 cents of every tax dollar collected went to pay interest, that's been cut almost in half to 21 cents, we now have a lower debt load as a percentage of GDP than anyone else in the G7 except the UK (yes, that means less debt as a percentage of GDP than the US) and of the debt that remains much of it has been repatriated so that most of the money spend on debt service stays in the country.

Tax rates are lower, just not much because they took the right approach of getting the debt under control while the ecomony was good instead of taking the Ontario approach of piling on tax cuts (or in reality tax shuffling, my total tax burden hasn't gone down much, they just moved some more of it from income to property taxes and fees) and piling up the debt, if the new guy makes his finance minister stick to the program he announced himself before leaving office then tax relief will continue, but I'll grant you I worry that that's a big if. If you somehow imagine that Paul Martin did all that on his own without support from the boss then....

As for pork barrelling, well any is too much we'll agree but this bunch has done much less of it than any of their predecessors.

Your comment about the Supreme court I'll assume is mostly about the marriage issue, which in point of fact is a result of decisions by provincial court judges, mostly Tory appointees in Ontario.

As for the "poisoned" relationship with the US, first off this doesn't seem to have actually hurt us where the rubber meets the road, real exports and the trade surplus with the US continue to go UP despite the "poison" and on other issues i.e. trade, things haven't actually gotten much worse then when there was coziness between 24 Sussex and the White House, in point of fact although most of the "poison" is personal with Bush, it's his inability to get the congress to play nice on trade that's gumming up the works, if it were totally up to the executive branch, despite his apparant distaste for Jean we wouldn't have half the trade problems we do have...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.