Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, while we're at it, here's another QuikBooks question.

I'm planning to buy Quickbooks here soon (until this thread, because it was the only piece of software I had heard much of). I've been keeping my books on paper by hand for the last 3 years. Before anyone groans, let me say that I've learned an awful lot that way and now have a pretty clear idea of what my bookkeeping needs are. It's actually been kinda....fun? Well, it's been educational at least.

My business is fairly simple (1 person massage therapy practice). I keep track of income and about 12 categories of expenses.

- I don't deal with a product (personal services only) (please, no wisecracks about sexual services) so no sales tax.

- I only have a few pieces of equipment (two tables, a chair, and some computer equipment, so I have some simple depreciation. I can't depreciate my hands. :)

- Clients pay at their appointments, so only maybe 2 dozen invoices to clients in a year

- I don't deal with insurance companies directly but I do supply about 3 dozen receipts for clients in a year so they can try for reimbursement themselves.

- I have a relatively steady weekly income with few, if any, seasonal fluctuations.

- My quarterly taxes are fairly straightforward

- etc.

I have two questions:

1. Husband uses Quicken to track household finances. Sounds like Quicken Home & Business might be an easier option? Thoughts?

2. There are 3 versions of QB: basic, pro, and deluxe. I think I need just basic. Does anyone know any more about the other versions that would suggest I need more than the basic?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kelly
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.