Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

well.... you were probably about 8 yrs old back then, so we maybe had different ideas about "profound" <G>
NTTAWWT.

That would make me about 27 at the oldest, and 20 at the youngest.

I would agree that, at those ages, I wouldn't have a clue about "profound".

But, in reality, this series ran between my 27th and 34th birthdays. Not a great difference, I suppose. :o)

not saying you wouldn't have a clue.
just that ideas would be different.

my ideas of 'profound' have seriously changed over the years .... not that i was wrong when i was 12 or 32 or 52 .... just different. like the psycho says, "we then saw as through a glass darkly, now we see as with a darkling glass"

...... Q was too god-like and i was still and atheist back then.

But, but, but......

That's where Picard got to tell Q that, no matter how stupid we may seem to be, we are doing well and are important.

good that i turned the channel then .... or i would have started disliking Picard.

He further made it plain that Q was an infant comparatively. Humans, Picard said, would never cause difficulty to a lesser being just because that lesser being was comparatively stupid.

that's just false...
but, of course, a major theme in all the series -- that in just a couple centuries, H.saps will have become 'perfect'.

Every episode with Q on board showed that the Christian God is an infant.

Remember the original series where Capt. Kirk ran into Apollo? Apollo, it seems, was an actual superior being that had been to earth. He could do anything (with the difference between himself and Q being that Apollo had a power source that could be messed with).

But Kirk gave a speech about the fact that, by 20whatever year it was, man had evolved past the bowing and scraping of worship, and was willing to stand on his own. You kinda felt sorry for Apollo in that he couldn't be worshiped, which seemed very important to him- almost as though the reason for his being was to be worshiped.

Q was like that.

exactly. except i didn't feel sorry for them.
i thought they were irritating.
and i didn't/don't buy the evolution thing.

And Picard was like Kirk.

Every time the admittedly boring Q would show up, I was always reminded of that episode that said such controversial things in the friggin' 60's!

You may not have been interested because you already knew all of that about humans and gods and such, but to a theist at the time, it was eye opening.

k (once again, only my take)

ditto.

(> h

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.