Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Wendy,

I bought TIPS in December 2008 when the TIPS yield was higher than the Treasury yield (as if deflation would stick around for 10 years!). The TIPS I bought in December 2008 yield 6.3% (plus inflation). Talk about a panic!

These are moments where I tend to push a lot of my chips into the center of the table because they don't come around very often. I might have to deal with a reinvestment issue 10 years later but that seems a small risk to manage in order to capture momentary market stupidity. This is why I'm not an orderly patterned buyer. I can garner average returns in many easy ways capitalizing on market farts is easy money.

jack
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.