Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We have already filed our returns for 2013, and received our refund.

TODAY, my husband's company sent us a check for money they say went into his 401K in 2013, in excess of the 2013 contribution limit.

This is because of an unbelievably stupid series of idiot mistakes on his company's part, but essentially it's technically true that the contribution was made in 2013.

So we have this money, and it has a nice, official letter that tells us that it's now 2013 taxable income.

Since we've ALREADY FILED for 2013, and they didn't bother taking out taxes, what do I do next?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.