No. of Recommendations: 0
couldn't get the new Anne Rice.

But I got W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear's "Raising Abel." It's a science fiction/adventure type book. I really liked the last one of theirs that I read.

Also got "The Confessions of Nat Turner" by Styron and "8 Men and a Duck" which is about a bunch of fools who cross the pacific in a raft.
Print the post Back To Top
Did you read all the Gear books of the Native American Past? They all started with "People of the..." and were not chronological except for the first few. I rather enjoyed the series: some were more of a murder mystery, most dealt with NA mythos and cosmology.

Moonglade
Also got "The Confessions of Nat Turner" by Styron

I started reading this one, but I couldn't get into it. Although, the same thing happened to me when I read "Sophie's Choice", and it turned out to be one of the best books I've ever read, so maybe I should've stayed with it. I also read "Darkness Visible", which is amazing because of Styron's candor. He crystalized for me what it's like to experience depression. I'll probably give "Confessions" another chance, along with other books by Styron.

Erik
The only ones I've read so far are "Dark Inheritance" and the new one "Raising Abel."

They are very good page turners, though they are basically the same book.

Picked up "Cryptonomicron" by Neal Stevenson today, actually paid for it, and I'm a little concerned. There is NO WAY that I'm going to read a paragraph that is a page long ... either break it up into three paragraphs, or I'm skipping the damned thing.

I hope it isn't one of those books that critics like that doesn't have a plot or characters or anything.
Picked up "Cryptonomicron" by Neal Stevenson today, actually paid for it, and I'm a little concerned. There is NO WAY that I'm going to read a paragraph that is a page long ... either break it up into three paragraphs, or I'm skipping the damned thing.

I hope it isn't one of those books that critics like that doesn't have a plot or characters or anything.

I've read Cryptonomicon, and I thought it was great except for the very end which I wasn't too crazy about. It's actually three books in one with three different plots going. Stevenson was definitely running on some high-octane caffeine or something when he wrote it, as he does tend to ramble sometimes. I learned some things from the book though. Worth the effort.

poorboy
I'm 225 pages into it and can't discern any kind of plot.

I think the author used to be a d & d dungeonmaster, the way he discribes everything in minute detail seems similar.
The multiple storylines all merge together (more or less) late in the book.
I'm a third of the way through and am really getting into the characters and stories now. With the three plots running at once, I guess it takes a lot longer to develop them (page wise).

Some really hilarious stuff, Stephenson has a great eye for the absurd.