No. of Recommendations: 1
We're 62, taking our SS and been retired since 1995. How are the rest of you diversied?

I'm 66 and my spouse is 62, been retired since 1995 and taking SS.

I presently have a target allocation of 60% equities and 40% fixed income. The equities are held 40% stocks and 20% mutual funds with half of the mutual fund money in index funds and the other half in managed funds which have over performed the index.

The fixed income is half 5 year bond/CD ladder and the other half 6 month t-bills.

The 20% t-bills are enough to provide a 4% withdrawal rate for the next 5 years. The way I manage the t-bills is to take 20% and divide by 26 and place that amount into t-bills weekly so that I have t-bills maturing every week that I can draw on if need be.

Since I have a pension and SS I feel that I can risk a little more in equities than if this money were my sole source of income and since I retired and started managing my nest egg in 1995 I have had an average yearly rate of return of 10.6%.

OxBeaux
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.