Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 32
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Seen that before. It is great. I'd love it if someone stood up and said that out loud, as depicted. I'd vote for that person in a heart-beat.

Too bad it was just a movie.
No. of Recommendations: 2

Actually, it's from the first episode of an HBO series, The Newsroom, created/written by Aaron Sorkin.
No. of Recommendations: 2

Actually, it's from the first episode of an HBO series, The Newsroom, created/written by Aaron Sorkin.

------------

I guess I kind of thought that what was said was more important than whether or not it was a movie or a television show. I guess I was wrong.

AM
No. of Recommendations: 5

------------

I guess I kind of thought that what was said was more important than whether or not it was a movie or a television show. I guess I was wrong.

AM

And I thought it was nice to find out where it came from.

Karen
And I wish a real politician would say that, not just a character in a TV show.

Obama could have said that in is SotU address. After all, the state of the union is that we are not number one in anything except number of incarcerated citizens per capita.
No. of Recommendations: 11
After all, the state of the union is that we are not number one in anything except number of incarcerated citizens per capita.

I'll admit the video, while initially fist-pump-worthy, has me reconsidering. I'm a bit confused on the overall message.

First, I agree that cheerleading is pointless. "We're the greates because of Freedom, and Freedom"? Silly.

But the speaker's message seems to be, "We're NOT number one because mumbledy mumbledy and here's a bunch of categories in which we're way behind other countries." Then he gets wistful as he recalls "the good ol' days."

The takeaway is, "We USED to be number one, but we're not anymore, and that's sad."

While I can agree with the idea that we should stop fooling ourselves, I can't seem to completely swallow that feeling of loss he wants to convey. Okay, he says we're seventh in literacy--not sure exactly what that means. But did we used to be number one? We're 178th in infant mortality; what was it seventy-five years ago?

He begins after the pregnant pause with "We sure used to be [the greatest country.]" To support that, he doesn't cite statistics; he cites platitudes. "We stood up for what was right," he says. (How is that measured?) "We sacrificed. We cared about our neighbors." (Assuming your neighbors were the right skin color.) "We struck down laws for moral reasons." (Weren't moral reasons the justification for passing those laws in the first place?)

Do we want to go back to the days when racial segregation was institutionalized and homosexuality was criminal? Do we long for the era when a man with a family was assumed more qualified for a job than a single woman? When factory runoff was "treated" by dumping it into a river? When children were spanked for crying and people thought that "spousal rape" was a contradiction of terms?

Again, I'm not going to say everything's hunky-dory today. But one thing I've learned is that the "good ol' days" are not as good as we remember, and that lots of countries probably think they "put our money where our mouths were." Yes, the girl's question "Why are we the greatest?" was inane. But snarling that "you kids are screwed" is not much more than Grumpy Old Man syndrome.

But then again, I could be wrong.
Liberalism has done a number on the USA.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Yes, the girl's question "Why are we the greatest?" was inane. But snarling that "you kids are screwed" is not much more than Grumpy Old Man syndrome.

I agree that the "good ol' days" weren't really that good. But I don't really agree with your statement here. I think that girl needed a metaphorical slap in the face. I would assert that probably most of the population does.

I am unable to confirm what our highest rating in science and math was. My perception is that we were once higher (globally) than we are now. Perhaps that is wrong. But it is undeniable that we are NOT #1. Infant mortality? I don't know if everyone else just got a LOT better, or we got worse, or a combination, but evidently we aren't #1 there either. Etc.

We were #1 in the 2012 Olympics, with 104 medals (of which 46 were gold). Whoopie.

Plus the incarceration thing. (We're number 1, we're number 1!)

His waxing nostalgic was certainly less rigorous than the statistics in the first bit of his tirade. Again, it is my perception that we did used to care more about our neighbors, and the politicians actually did try to do at least some good rather than merely march in lock-step partisanship. Facts used to matter. People used to outrage over real stuff (Vietnam, Watergate, etc), and not made-up BS (like the birthers).

Or maybe all that stupidity and avarice is just more visible now than it used to be, but it was always there (and maybe worse?).

Stuff like the Patriot Acts worries me. Stuff like the drone program worries me. Stuff like the allegation about Karl Rove (and "white-hat" hackers) worries me. The parallels to 1984 I see around me today worry me. Indefinite detention, and torture, worries me. None of that strikes me as consistent with our alleged ideals, and it seems to be getting worse. And people seem to care about it less. And that worries me too.

1poorguy
No. of Recommendations: 7
Liberalism has done a number on the USA.

Yep. Without liberalism this country would be so much worse than it is. It would be almost unlivable. So we have a lot to thank liberalism for.
No. of Recommendations: 6

His waxing nostalgic was certainly less rigorous than the statistics in the first bit of his tirade. Again, it is my perception that we did used to care more about our neighbors, and the politicians actually did try to do at least some good rather than merely march in lock-step partisanship. Facts used to matter. People used to outrage over real stuff (Vietnam, Watergate, etc), and not made-up BS (like the birthers).

When I was a girl - admittedly, a long time ago - we actually knew our neighbors. By name. By occupation. And their children. And their parents. If we misbehaved, the neighbor would see to it that our parents knew about it.

We were free, as kids, (like Scout in "To Kill A Mockingbird") to run all over creation playing. Our parents weren't paranoid that someone was going to snatch us up and run off with us.

Sometimes we walked a couple of miles (or more) to go to the movies. Or to pass by and dream about the rich people's homes in the other direction.

I don't recall slasher movies when I was young. I don't recall so much nudity or swearing. And, for sure, I don't recall television ads for products that, we are told, benefit every conceivable bodily part and function.

I also remember "Impeach Earl Warren" billboards - but was too young to know what it was all about.

I lived, probably not more than 25 miles, from a person described in the book "The Warmth of Other Suns" (which I HIGHLY recommend) who migrated (not under the best of circumstances) to New York.

I believe we were a less violent society then. But there were fewer of us. We still believed in manners then. But - there is always a "but" - those manners were generally confined to our circle of look-alikes. If you weren't white and Christian, something was amiss with you. You might be a fantastic person - but you somehow could never measure up. You were the fat girl who had "such a pretty face". Even if you WERE white and Christian you didn't always measure up.

It was the best of times.
It was the worst of times.
But it WAS different from THESE times, to be sure.

AM