Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, it could have been worse. I signed up for my company's 403b plan without looking into it - and have now realized that my money is in crappy annuities. What I want to do is stop contributing to my 403b, and roll this money (only about $400 - that's the good news) into the Roth IRA that I'm about to start. While I'm still trying to find out if I can transfer the 403b at all, here's my dilemma. I need that money to open the Roth IRA to meet the minimum to open (a steep $1k) in the Vanguard 500 Index Fund. However, seeing as this money has to be rolled into a traditional, rollover IRA, first, would I be better served to:

1) roll the $400, plus an extra $600 needed to open a Vanguard IRA, then roll it all into a Roth (and don't I have to wait 60 days to convert from traditional to Roth?) OR...
2) just open a Roth IRA with $1000 of my own non-403b money (which will take a big bite out of my emergency funds!) and then roll the $400 into the Roth after it's already been established?

Are the tax consequences better with one of these options, or am I screwed either way? I know it's only $400, but I'm a poor 23-year old who *thought* she had been acting Foolish and has now realized the error of her ways! (And don't you worry, the money I've been contributing to my 403b will be diverted into my fabled Roth IRA when I get it started - I have learned something from this!)

Thanks!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.