Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 21
What albaby said... but also could be....

Capitol police absolutely resisted at critical choke points. Where they had a tactical advantage in terms of personnel or “terrain”, they defended heroically.

Watching the videos, several things struck me.

Initially, like most, I wondered why so many Capitol police continually fell back. Obviously, as became apparent, they lacked the numbers to defend the entire perimeter.

But also quite obviously, the mob failed in its objective to find ANY Representatives or Senators.

So what do you do when you lack the manpower to stop a mob?

You misdirect the mob. Like parking attendants who send cars down rows with parking spaces.... many of the videos showed crowds flowing down hallways, only having to reverse course when they reached a dead end. And in this light, who can forget Officer Goodman who LED a crowd AWAY from evacuating leaders?

In spite of lacking sufficient resources to protect the entire Capitol, the Capitol Police did a tremendous job of managing the crowd, and sending them down blind alleys and leading them on goose chases until enough reinforcements arrived to drive them out of the building.... WITHOUT resorting to deadly force, EXCEPT for the single instance in which one woman was shot when she attempted to break through the last door between the mob and evacuating leaders.

I thought they did a superb job, and from this perspective, we can see that officers waving a crowd thru... were doing their jobs rather than helping the mob.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.