Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It's a type of hair clip.

I found a few photos online:
• http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/121334/hairclip.gif
• http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rbBOq3ELsSI/TxZnSriui6I/AAAAAAAAAN...

I know they are not bobby pins, and I know they are hair clips, but is there a name for this specific type of hair clip?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks.

I hope that knowing the proper name will help me find cheaply-priced snap clips on Amazon.

I don't know for certain, but I strongly suspect they cost more when sold using this name: http://www.traditionsjewishgifts.com/YOCLIPS.html
Twenty cents a pop doesn't sound overpriced. It's that $6.95 shipping that bites.
A few years ago I bought a couple of replacement wheels for one of my cars.
Shipping for both from Florida to California was $23 through Fedex, and those puppies
were a hell of a lot heavier than a couple of those clips.

~aj
Amazon can get you down to 4 cents each....not sure what the shipping will do to you

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-Clips-1-19in-3-02cm-Girls/dp/B008...
There's someone selling them on an Etsy website in lots of 100, aimed at people who use them to craft hair decorations. They look like a very nice quality.

The lot is $7.50, so it's 7-1/2 cents per clip. Shipping within the US is $3, so it totals at 10-1/2 cents per clip.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62627644/lot-of-100-snap-hair-cl...

sheila
Thanks for the tip. I'm actually looking for black ones, but after reading your message I found those on Etsy, too.

$4.20 plus $4 shipping for 50.

And 50 will probably last me a few years.

Until now I've been using bobby pins, but the bobby pins I buy today don't seem to grasp my hair like the ones I bought 20 years ago.

I wish I could blame this problem on a decline in bobby-clip quality, but unfortunately that's not the real problem.

The real problem is that there's much less hair up there for them to grab onto. It's my hope that the snap clips will do a better job.
Snap clips are a lot easier to use than bobby pins. I think you'll like using them better whether they hold better or not.

But I'm sure you're not the only man whose yarmulke anchor has reduced. And catholic priests must have the same dilemna. Not to mention the men of each faith who are entirely bald. I wonder what they do? Okay, I got curious enough to do some research.

It looks like the popular solutions are:
If you have hair on top: Half of a velcro dot in the yarmulke will keep it from sliding off your hair.
If you don't have hair on top: Double sided fashion tape like some women use to keep their dress closed over their cleavage.

Frydaze1
It looks like the popular solutions are:
If you have hair on top: Half of a velcro dot in the yarmulke will keep it from sliding off your hair.
If you don't have hair on top: Double sided fashion tape like some women use to keep their dress closed over their cleavage.

super glue...
There's also the option to go with bigger yarmulkes.

At my son's school, they enforce a minimum size by forbidding clips!

Since the requirement is to keep my head covered, hats are always an option when I'm outdoors. But in American culture, it's considered discourteous to wear a hat indoors.

(And really, I only need the clips when its windy and when I'm working out.)
Since the requirement is to keep my head covered, hats are always an option when I'm outdoors. But in American culture, it's considered discourteous to wear a hat indoors.

This raises another question for me. Though I don't expect you have the answer. But I'd be interested in your speculation.

Clips haven't always been around. But the covered head requirement has. So it has always been a challenge to keep one's head covered in wind and such. Why, then, would they use such a impractical covering? In most cultures with this requirement, the women use a method that either ties under the chin or that wraps around the neck - either way securing it. But men seldom do. After millenia of trying to keep something on one's head, I would think that a chin strap would be unremarkable by now.

Frydaze1

P.S. No, I'm not suggesting you start that trend. I'm just shocked that it doesn't already exist.
Clips haven't always been around. But the covered head requirement has. So it has always been a challenge to keep one's head covered in wind and such. Why, then, would they use such a impractical covering? In most cultures with this requirement, the women use a method that either ties under the chin or that wraps around the neck - either way securing it. But men seldom do. After millenia of trying to keep something on one's head, I would think that a chin strap would be unremarkable by now.

Interesting question. By "they" do you mean yarmulke and other small impractical head-coverings for men, or all head-coverings in general?
if the latter, then I'd say men in many cultures wear turbans, which wrap nice and tight around the head and are much more secure than hats in the wind.

Apropos head-coverings, at least according to a yoga book I read, there is something medically good about not only having your head covered but also constricting the top part of the head (as a turban or a tennis headband does.) Not sure what.
No. of Recommendations: 1
" Double sided fashion tape like some women use to keep their dress closed over their cleavage."

There ought to be a low against that.

~aj
But seriously now... here's a cheap and workable solution:

http://dotcomjoe.com/0829w2

~aj
Why, then, would they use such a impractical covering?

I'd say only the modern variations are so impractical. The modern lightweight knitted yarmulke is, as far as I can tell, a recent invention adopted by the modern Orthodox.

Nobody wore them in my grandfather's time.

More traditional (haredi) Jews never wear the tiny knitted ones. They typically wear ones made of suede or velvet, that are both larger and heavier. Also, haredim usually wear hats over their yarmulkes. So it's not a problem. (In Jewish culture, it's not considered rude to wear a hat indoors.)

In fact, among American Jews, the term "Kippah Serugah" (Hebrew for meaning "knitted yarmulkah") has come to mean "modern Orthodox."

I do have a suede one that's much easier to keep on my head.

I should probably just buy a hat!
But (not so) seriously now... here's a cheap and workable solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-TR45K-Light-Duty-Staple/dp/B00...
"But (not so) seriously now... here's a cheap and workable solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-TR45K-Light-Duty-Staple/dp/B00...

"And if you order in the next twenty minutes we'll also throw in a bottle
of Iodine and a packet of gauze. Call now.Operator are standing by."

~aj
Steven, those clips are ubiquitous: just about any Five and Dime or drugstore with a ladies’ hair stuff section has them.

But why? The smaller yarmulke looks like an embroidered place mat suitable for a demitasse while a full-sized old schul kipa (available in black only) fits easily, hair or none. Plus they fold much easier than the dinky version. Mine is 50 years old and still holds a crease.

Personally I like the modern version that comes with a brim to shield the eyes and an adjusting band in the back. My local gas station gives them away for free.

MichaelR

Okay, when you're outdoors or working out, can you use a bandana style head wrap called a "do-rag"?

I have several that I got at the Harley Davidson shop from a company called That's a Wrap. They are made of a stretchy material, so it slips on over my head and hair to keep everything in place when I'm outside and riding on the bike.

DH wears them as well, and really likes the grip of the stretchy ones.

http://www.tawgear.com/store/home.php?cat=300

LWW
Okay, when you're outdoors or working out, can you use a bandana style head wrap called a "do-rag"?

I could if I didn't find the idea of an out-of-shape 47-year-old guy wearing a do-rag so embarrassing.
I could if I didn't find the idea of an out-of-shape 47-year-old guy wearing a do-rag so embarrassing.

My view is.....as long as YOU are fine with it and it solves your problems with convenience -- who cares what onlookers might think.

sheila
I guess it depends on the guy. I'm so used to seeing 60 yr old vets wearing them, it doesn't seem like it would be embarassing to anyone.

LWW