No. of Recommendations: 0
BR
coffee & cream
fruit salad w/nuts (~2/5 blueberries, 1/5 each raspberries, halved red grapes, walnuts)

LU
salad--romaine, red onion, boiled shrimp left over from dinner, avocado, capers, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice

DN
baked bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs w/roasted veggies (brussels sprouts, mini-peppers, purple carrot, onion)

dessert: plain Greek yogurt with a little more of that fruit salad, which needs using up, and a few drops of liquid stevia
Print the post Back To Top
Pulled pork sandwiches - First attempt at using an Instant Pot
My opionion is that the recipe needs work but my husband really likes it. He adds a lot of BBQ sauce.
Jack-in-the-Box is advertising new Teriyaki Bowls. I'm planning to try one.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Reversing a tendency toward eating better, today we grilled out. Hot
dogs for dinner.

Plus obligatory macaroni and cheese and steamed peas.

Howie52
Plus to round out I made a spice cake - supplemented with two
aging granny smith apples - diced, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, ground cloves
and iced with a butter cream icing. Not an approved diet in any way shape or
form.
No. of Recommendations: 2
If I get home early enough this evening, after picking up DH at the BART station, we will go downstairs and have veggie soup, salad, braised duck and sweet and sour red cabbage, but we rarely have dessert. I have tons of berries in the fridge.
The Old People's Home has three dining rooms now, all very different. They all have many many choices each night, ( different menu every night) and that is why I think we all gain weight here...it is so easy to eat well!
But for me, duck tonight would be a real treat, so I hope there is some left by the time we get home....
No. of Recommendations: 4
I made an apple pie today with apples from my backyard tree.

I just finished a slice and it's quite good!

Seattle Pioneer

How did it taste?
First attempt at using an Instant Pot

Bought one last year after slow cooker broke. I really like it.

So far, I have used it as a slow cooker, rice cooker, and pressure cooker.
Jack in the Box teriyaki bowl was ok but not great as prepared. Looks a lot better in the TV ads. Nice strips of beef over rice and a selection of frozen vegetables.

Flavor ok. But I probably won't order again. I liked bowl from KFC better.
" Jack in the Box teriyaki bowl was ok but not great as prepared. Looks a lot better in the TV ads. Nice strips of beef over rice and a selection of frozen vegetables.

Flavor ok. But I probably won't order again. I liked bowl from KFC better. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The local groceries have been selling the Knorr rice and noodle sides/selections
for something like $0.88 to $1 - depending on the specific store. You could make up
your own bowls - add the meats and vegetables of your choice for a meal - couple
of them if you want to freeze half.
I have been making stir-fry meals for a lunch or dinner - with wraps sometimes.
really easy to do and you get to use local veggies if you can get to a farmer's
market or road-side market.

Howie52
Retirement has given me time to fix things to make life easier and cheaper - but
also better.
Few things are as fulfilling as dinner.
I had one of my fave lunches today--a sort of taco salad. I heated leftover chili and served it over mesclun leaves w/olive oil, shredded jack, and a big scoop of guacamole w/extra lime juice. mmm.

Tried it and won't again. Very strong and not great Teriyaki flavor and very salty. 1,580 mg of sodium.
" Jack-in-the-Box is advertising new Teriyaki Bowls. I'm planning to try one.

Tried it and won't again. Very strong and not great Teriyaki flavor and very salty. 1,580 mg of sodium."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Jack-in-the Box" is not exactly renown for high quality nutritious oriental
fare. Is known for cheap quick food with some variety - but good?
I used to get tacos there when the company was in the DC area - since
their drive-through was open till 2AM.

I tried a blended bowl from a place called "PDQ" - which is a chain that
seems to close early in the evening. Tasted interesting and would be
worth a try - General Tso's bowl was OK.

Howie52
"Jack-in-the Box" is not exactly renown for high quality nutritious oriental
fare. Is known for cheap quick food with some variety - but good?

Not expecting great. I have had their older style oriental bowls and they were okay. They were high in sodium but taste was decent. The new one just had an overpowering taste of not good Teriyaki.
<<Not expecting great. I have had their older style oriental bowls and they were okay. They were high in sodium but taste was decent. The new one just had an overpowering taste of not good Teriyaki.>>

I tried their tacos once, and didn't like them. I traded them in for a hamburgler.

I'm not a big fan of Jac in the Box. Their hanburglers can be a handful and have more sauce than I'm happy with.

My favorite fast food place is Burger King, using a coupon that gets me a good price for what I want. I'm happy with their hamburglers and french fries.

Actually, around Seattle we have a local hambugler institution called "Dicks." They make the best local fast food hamburgers and french fries, and have a loyal following of local residents. That used to be my favorite hamburger place when I lived near them, but now a rarely get by there for a hamburger, french fries and vanilla milkshake.

I include their website for those who might like to try to get into the spirit of Dick's hamburgers:

http://www.ddir.com/

Seattle Pioneer
Do y'all mind my asking what is the appeal of fast food? I'm surprised when I learn someone over 30 is eating fast food, especially someone above-median income, non-working, not on the run, and most especially doing it regularly. I understand that the meat is of lower quality than the cheapest you can buy at a supermarket. Is it a habit gotten into in one's childhood/teens/early working years?

I carry 1 or 2 of the low-carb kind of KIND bars in my purse in case I'm running late for a meal so I can avoid fast food. Once every couple of months I pick up a quarter pounder w/cheese at McD for my diabetic brother, but I rarely get something for myself--but if I do, it's a salad or small fish sandwich w/small fries (and I share the fries). Also once in a while I get bro chicken tenders from Chick-Fil-A...annd I sometimes order for myself as well, but it's not as good as my own roasted or pan-fried skin-on chicken thighs...not something to look forward to IMO.

ASIDE
Last night's dinner was pan-fried skin-on chicken thighs over baby kale cooked w/mushrooms and sweet onion, topped with capers, sliced green olives, grated lemon rind, lemon juice, parsley, s&p. It took about the same amount of time to fix as waiting in line at a fast-food window, ordering, paying, and driving away. Probably cost about the same as a FF meal. And since the hubster does the dishes, it's as convenient as takeout ;-)
"Do y'all mind my asking what is the appeal of fast food?" alstromeria

Uh? It's delicious, fast, and relatively cheap. Especially if you have coupons. We get this thing called the Red Plum on Tuesdays in the mail and it is all kinds of coupons, many of them for restaurants, including fast food, and Burger King and Hardee's and McDonald's all have coupons in it - especially the buy one get one free coupons.

Not that I can do that anymore since most fast food is loaded with carbs but I'd be lying if I said that I don't think about it anymore. Buy one get one free whoppers? What's not to like? Buy one get one free fish sandwiches from McDonald's? What's not to like?

Art
Uh? It's delicious

Surely not compared to your home-cooked meals?! Ah, duality.

====

It's fast breakfast for us today--avocado on toast (yes it's trendy, and I love it!).

Sort of fast lunch--I'll be working on packing up my brother's house today and will be fagged out early (note to self: don't forget back brace & wrist brace, or it will be a shorter and more painful day!). Making lunch of Greek salad in advance and bringing w/me.

Relatively fast dinner--pan-fried fish & either fresh broccoli or frozen green beans.
No. of Recommendations: 3
"Surely not compared to your home-cooked meals?!" - alstromeria

I have known many people in my life that don't like to cook and in fact actually hate it. They see cooking as a big chore.

One more thing, Big Macs are delicious. I am also a fan of McDonald's fish fillet sandwiches. Of course since I went low carb I haven't eaten either one but I do remember how much I like them. If my doctor ever tells me I have stage IV cancer and will be dead within the year they will both be back on the menu, as well as Ramen noodles, spaghetti, and premium ice cream. And oh yeah Burger King Whoppers.

Art
<<ASIDE
Last night's dinner was pan-fried skin-on chicken thighs over baby kale cooked w/mushrooms and sweet onion, topped with capers, sliced green olives, grated lemon rind, lemon juice, parsley, s&p. It took about the same amount of time to fix as waiting in line at a fast-food window, ordering, paying, and driving away. Probably cost about the same as a FF meal. And since the hubster does the dishes, it's as convenient as takeout ;-)>>

This has the same appeal for me that fast food does for you.

I'm surprised you have to ask.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 5
Do y'all mind my asking what is the appeal of fast food?

Taste. While it is true, much of fast food is cooked with ingredients and in a manner that makes it "oral nicotine" and is addictive as it does trigger some pleasure centers.

And yes, eating it daily or perhaps even weekly can have serious health issues, but it's a personal choice. I probably only do a Papa Murphy's pizza or flame-thrower from DQ once every month, and it upsets my wife. But I'd rather die a little younger with a bigger smile, than die older and miserable.

I don't shame you for eating kale. Don't shame me for an occasional pleasure of some junk food. Geez, probably have knocked off much more "life" breathing in all the ash here in the Pacific Northwest the last few weeks than I would eating weekly burgers.

LakeD
" Do y'all mind my asking what is the appeal of fast food? I'm surprised when I learn someone over 30 is eating fast food, especially someone above-median income, non-working, not on the run, and most especially doing it regularly. I understand that the meat is of lower quality than the cheapest you can buy at a supermarket. Is it a habit gotten into in one's childhood/teens/early working years?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are times when a greasy burger or a coney dog with fries just hits the spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJi4bln-hHQ

Howie52
Also,every so often time slips away and you just have to adjust.

However, White Castles, Crystals, Waffle Houses and some other diner fare comes
in mind when you want to or need to eat at strangely early or late hours.
They were the college allnighter havens - and every so often the nostalgia or
specific situations arise where the brain short-circuits and pathways which
possibly should have been purged return to haunt the reflux-ridden stomachs of
the aging adult.
No intention to shame anybody. I sincerely do not understand the appeal of fast food. I seem to be immune to their addictive ingredients. Excpet McD's tallow-fried french fries in the 60s/70s--those were awesome. Even Julia Child said so! And I never met a fried fish I didn't like, although fast-food fish sandwiches are seriously inferior to homemade or seafood-house fried fish.

Exhausted and achy after sorting/packing at my brother's yesterday, I picked up takeout from the cheap Chinese joint(!). I would have to drive much further for fast food, this place is pretty fast anyhow, and the hubster loves their steamed dumplings, fried wings, and hunan shrimp so I get takeout from there maybe every other month. I got shrimp egg fu yung for my breakfast, too ;-)

ASIDE
Gotta finish sorting/packing by thursday, when mover picks up the stuff to be stored at bro's warehouse (in case he ever lives some place larger than his current 1-room assisted living apartment) plus a few items moved to assisted living (his huge DVD collection, its cabinet, and a bluray player). A carful for me to donate (who has 8 sets of sheets for their bed and 3 sets each for guest beds?!). Only 1 more trash day before closing as well. And the final cleaning. And meeting the final tradesman tomorrow. I did this for my mom's house last spring as well.

For pete's sake, don't leave all this work for your aging-herself sister or daughter! Next year, I'm attacking our own excess belongings, shredding old paperwork, catching up any deferred maintenance so my kids don't have so much work when I'm too decrepit.
This has the same appeal for me that fast food does for you.

I didn't post about kale to be "cool," it just happened to be dinner that night. And whatever you think of kale, it's got a lot of fiber and keeps you regular ;-) I always "doctor up" kale as it's taste MO is inferior to other greens such as spinach, chard, mustard greens.

AS for green olives, capers, and grated lemonn rind...IMO they go w/kale--and chicken. I love the salty-sour-"turpentiney" taste of capers, the salty-bitter-earthy taste of olives--and their texture, and the intense citrus taste of lemon rind. Maybe I'm the opposite of a "super-taster" and need flavor intensity/enhancers?

Fast food is intensely salty and usually sweet and tastes of the oil it's cooked in (what are they using lately? whatever's cheap I guess...cottonseed oil? something hydrogenated?), but otherwise IMO flavor is lacking. Excpet for the pickle bits in the special sauce ;-)

After low-carbing for some time, I find ketchup too sweet. Maybe becasue a typical serving of 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) of ketchup (2 tbsp each on a burger and on fries) has more sugar than a krispy kreme donut! I'd rather have that much sugar in the form of baklava, pie, or orange marmalade ;-) I've read that traditionally people put mustard, pickles, and/or onions on burgers. Ketchup was added by fast food chains in the 50s to attract children. No idea if that's true. My MIL, being texan, trained my husband to eat mustard on burgers, and he got me to switch.
"After low-carbing for some time, I find ketchup too sweet. Maybe becasue a typical serving of 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) of ketchup (2 tbsp each on a burger and on fries) has more sugar than a krispy kreme donut! I'd rather have that much sugar in the form of baklava, pie, or orange marmalade ;-) I've read that traditionally people put mustard, pickles, and/or onions on burgers. Ketchup was added by fast food chains in the 50s to attract children. No idea if that's true. My MIL, being texan, trained my husband to eat mustard on burgers, and he got me to switch. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are differences between brands of ketchup - but they all tend to be sweet.
Mustards vary all over the map - with some being hotter than others. There are a
few that can really take your breath away.

Our family used mustard for mustard plasters - very effective for chest colds.

Howie52
I've got pork chops in the oven with little potatoes, carrots and
onions ciated with olive oil and seasoned with a salt-free all-spice blend.
I need to go check on the stove in a tad.

Howie52
My dinner tonight was...a cup of green tea.

I feel full from that takeout Chinese dinner yesterday and egg fu yung this morning! Just not hungry.
"Just not hungry."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are times like that - just make sure that your blood sugar does
not go low.

I was mowing yesterday and it was hot and humid again in the upstate.
I was able to get DW to sit outside under the umbrella for a while and
she was able to walk up to the mailbox with me. She is a bit toddery - but
less so when she keeps up the walking.

Howie52
Do y'all mind my asking what is the appeal of fast food? I'm surprised when I learn someone over 30 is eating fast food, especially someone above-median income, non-working, not on the run, and most especially doing it regularly.

I occasionally eat fast food. Here's why:

- Sometimes I don't feel like cooking.
- There is built-in portion control--no leftovers.

Here's what I like:

Mexican food-- There's a local place that sells Bean Burritos & tacos - cheap price and the quality is pretty good.

And love In-and-out burgers! You can cut the calories by ordering the burger 'Protein style'.
it is friday...i drove 10 miles east to Brito's Family Restaurant in Bourbon Indiana

for the friday night special...fried fish and french frys...it was great!