Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
What are you fixing for the holiday?

I tried a 40 hour fast, having been too lax recently. Usually I’m doing 22 hours, so this was adventurous. No food from Saturday night to Monday 2 pm. It turned out to be easy, because contrary to all logic, fasting seems to get easier the longer it lasts. Maybe because all the hunger/craving hormones are extinguished.

But not having done that in awhile, I felt a bit light-headed on Monday morning. I had a demanding activity to do, a class in dog agility. It requires complex memory as well as physical coordination. You get just a couple minutes to memorize a 20 obstacle course designed to confuse you, and how to lead a dog around it. I wondered if that would turn out to be a disaster. I decided to find out, so I kept the fast going. It turned out my brain worked as normal. So the light-headed thing might just be the feeling of running on ketones, not low blood pressure or low blood sugar or something else that would affect brain and body function.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.