Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
What are you transferring from, hopefully a "qualified plan".

It is my understanding that you if you are transferring from a traditional IRA, 401k to a Roth you will be creating a taxable event. Since the tranfer is occuring after 12/31/98 you will be taxed on the total amount for 1999. So in effect you are adding 20,000 to your income so you'll have to pay taxes at whatever bracket you're in.

Discount brokers could handle the tranfer just as well but make sure you get good tax advice first.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.