Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
For fasting?

Two hours after breakfast?

Two hours after lunch?

Two hours after dinner?

What percentage of the time do you meet your target ranges?

How long have you managed your diabetes?

Do you wear a medical I.D.?

I'm hoping everyone who posts will answer these questions. And that other folks will come out of lurking and post. :)

Cheers,

Shire
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I do not have a medical ID bracelet but do have an ADA card on my key chain. I have been managing my diabetes since around 2000. My target after fasting is under 120. Generally I only test once a day, unless my fasting sugar is out of whack, in which case I test before meals to see if it was a fluke or an issue to be managed. I also might move my meals up or delay them if my sugars are low or high respectively. I keep all meals to about 60g carbs, 30g for breakfast/midday snacks, and separate meals/snacks by about 3hrs.

Fuskie
Who thinks targets are a great long term goal but the short term challenge should be maintaining consistency...
For fasting?

Used to be 130, but as of yesterday the doctor wants it 120

Two hours after breakfast?

140 2 hours after all meals

Fasting old rules almost 100% It was usually in the low 120's

After meals, probably about 75-80%, with most of the misses below 175.

4 years. Type 2, only medication glucophage

No, but thanks for the reminder. I also take rat poison because of an arhythmia, so I really should. I do carry a copy of my med list and my doctor's card in my wallet.

Oct-Dec is my annual medical marathon, this year including my 60th birthday. Oddly, no new indignities associated with this milestone, and on the good news front, my insurance pays for the shingles vaccine. Eyes good, kidneys good, liver good, most blood numbers good.

I eat so much fish I think I should be on Charlie Tuna's hit list and take 3600 mg of fish oil daily and I still can't get my HDL to budge. It's stuck in the low 20's and refuses to move.

My A1C was 6.6, which is good, but up from 6.3 6 months ago. I don't know enough about the innards of the test to know whether the recent carb extravaganza known as Thanksgiving (and all the wonderful leftover stuffing and gravy) had any effect on that or not. But I'd like the next one to be lower, so I'm going to hunker down and try to behave myself.

Phil
For a 12 hour fast when checking in the morning I am always at least 125 no matter what. Later in the day it will drop to 110. Pete
My target range is between 90-115. I don't wear an ID bracelet, but I probably should. I did just start carryig a list of my medications in my wallet.

One thing I noticed was when I refilled my perscriptions from Walgreens, it had a list of all my medications, the dosage, and the date it was last filled. It had my Doctor's name, my name and address, and some other stuff. Pretty much all the info that would be needed were I to end up in the emergency room. So I just printed that out and put in my wallet. What makes it really nice is that if something changes, I can just print out a new sheet no hassle.
For fasting? 80 to 120

Two hours after breakfast? 110 to 140

Two hours after lunch? 120 to 150

Two hours after dinner? 120 to 150

Varies - when traveling maybe 10 to 20%
when home and following my exercise routine maybe 90%
when home and not paying attention - maybe 75%
when home or away and not doing what I should - maybe 10%

since 1997.
used multiple pills for first 3 months
controlled with diet and exercise for 8 years
back on one pill for a year
back to multiple pills since

No

Howie52
If I follow the exercise routine, I do pretty well - but when I
travel anywhere for any length of time, the blood sugars go
high regardless of diet and exercise - though they stay in
better control with exercise they remain high during trips except