Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
....What are your thoughts on investing in the sector in which you work(ed)?....

It has been years since I have read them, but you might read some of the Peter Lynch books. As I recall this was one of his points that investing in areas that you know is the one of the few ways that the average person can find superior companies because of their "inside" knowledge. I think that he also did things like talk to his kids about what products they liked to find new ideas.

A few comments;

1) Some people chose to stick with something like 80 index funds and 20% individual stock to limit their downside if the turn out to not be good stock pickers.

2) Investing in your own company is often a bad idea for the reasons that you mentioned. Investing in other companies in that industry is a whole different situation.

3) A company can have a great product, but still be a badly managed company.

4) A great company might have a stock that is too expensive to be a good buy. Don't talk yourself into buying their stock at any price.

Greg
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.