Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

I wanted to start from scratch here and ask what BRAND of bread you all eat.I am supposed to avoid white, I heard wheat and whole grain are good, but I would like to know what kind of bread people here eat, which is the best, and why?

Thanks, J.P.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I eat Krogher light wheat hamburger and hot dog buns(20g and 16g respectively), and Nature's Own reduced carb (7g per slice). Enriched white bread is worst for a carb friendly diet. Whole grain and multi-grain break down the slowest.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Since I've been off of pill and solely diet and exercise control for a year now, I've got to watch it...which is difficult.

I also tend to buy either wheat or multigrain that is half; i.e, 7 g carb per slice; and try to have only one slice at a time (else, hard to have any other carb). Like everything else, though; depends on what you're taking...when you eat it...what else you are eating, just ate, or intend to eat....etc. etc. and so on.

I've had industrial-strength bread twice in the last year, I think. Because it wasn't the 7-g only kind, I made sure I had it sitting down; slowly ate it and savored it; and didn't have any other carb at that 'meal'. (Had some fish, I think). But you get the picture. Control is my main issue; i.e., when I CAN have something...so long as it's only one....... making it just one is the whole focus. As long as I was on the oral med, I never really made it all the way to controlling things like that. Not that I'm there yet; but, my hemoglobins have been ok the past year, mainly because being off my 'safety net' has kept me just a tad paranoid. As a result, comparatively speaking, I'm 'healthier' than I have been in almost 15 years.

So far, anyway.

JP
I wanted to start from scratch here and ask what BRAND of bread you all eat

Newbie dropping in. I'm not a diabetic...yet, but am hypoglycemic <I get them confused, but I have the problem with the blood sugar dropping>.

Ironically, after I lost some weight - I had blood sugar issues. After putting the weight back on - it's not an issue at the moment, not a solution either.

My nutritionist had me using Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat or Kasanoff's Rye bread. You need to check the ingredients. Best to stay away from white flour, enriched flour <of any sort>. The first ingredient should be whole/stoned wheat or rye flour.

Odee
Newbie dropping in. I'm not a diabetic...yet, but am hypoglycemic <I get them confused, but I have the problem with the blood sugar dropping>.

Hi Odee,

Nothing wrong with dropping by.The more the merrier...I am surprised that with the popularity of this disease, this board is not mobbed!If you didn't have any problem with blood sugar, chances are you know someone that does, did, or does and doesn't know it.My case being the latter. I was thristy 24/7 to the point of waking up several times a night to pee and drink more water.My doctor told me it was my bodies way of trying to rid itself of excess sugar in my bloodstream.

Thank you all for your responses.I am relatively new to diabetes (known for less than half a year). So in the interest of anyone that comes a long like me, I will aske these questions every now and then in the hopes of finding what may work for different people.

Thanks, John p.
No. of Recommendations: 3
That is exactly why this board is here. Welcome!

i make my own bread...50% unbleached white and 50% whole wheat. i don't know if i can make 100% whole wheat bread without adding a bit of gluten [readily available at $$$ health-food stores $$$]. Think i'll give it a try on my next round. i also add sunflower seeds to raise the fat&protein to carb ratio. Keep the dough on the moist side, and even the sunflower seeds on the crust will remain soft. If there's interest, i can report results as they come in, over the next few weeks/months.

The big problem is portion size. A slice of real (homemade) bread is as heavy as several slices of balloon-bread ... likely 3-to-1. [can't weigh the balloon-bread because i neither have nor want any.]

The diet manual i was given said to get about 50% of my calories from carbs, with strong preference to complex carbs. Nothing was absolutely excluded. Perhaps i need a new diet manual.

cassandra

/**/
chances are you know someone that does, did, or does and doesn't know it

Grandmother had diabetes, mother has it - but under control. I have a nephew and niece belonging to my BIL and his DW that have Juvenile Diabetes. That's a lot tougher than adults dealing with it. Both kids were 6 when it was discovered. For the 3rd or 4th time, I'll be joining them for the JDRF walk.

Never thought to look for a diabetes board, then noticed it highlighted one day. Since then it was marked as a favorite. So I'll be around.

Odee
Welcome, and we're glad you're here!
Hi Odee,

Good to see another BB here. I am surprised there aren't more.

Susan
No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't eat bread. I do use low carb tortillas, three or four a week, which only have about 3 effective carbs each.

Susan
Where do you find low carb tortilla? They seem to be twice as bad carb-wise as bread.
Where do you find low carb tortilla? They seem to be twice as bad carb-wise as bread.

The ones I get are made by La Tortilla Factory. They are in most of the grocery stores in this area with the regular tortillas. You can also order them from several of the low carb sites. Here are a couple of sites that carry them, but I would check locally first.

http://www13.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=25

http://store.yahoo.com/low-carb/newimthel.html

I have been told that Adios Carbs Tortillas are even better, but I haven't found them locally. They have six grams effective carbs each and are supposed to have won taste tests over regular tortillas.

HTH,
Susan
Good to see another BB here. I am surprised there aren't more.

Thanks Susan. Other BBs may not know about the board.

Odee
I use a bread machine and make wheat, whole wheat, cracked wheat, sourdough and sweet breads. I never eat/ate white bread.