Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
What breaks on most vacuum cleaners? I was wondering if I picked up all three, would it be likely to make one or two useful appliances, assuming it's not always the same thing that breaks.

Heck, if they're all still there, you could give it a shot. People throw things out for the oddest reasons sometimes.

I've seen people throw various appliances away because they had a broken belt, were missing a spark plug or battery, had a broken wire or simply needed to be cleaned so the motor could turn.

I once spent time at a yard sale, yakking with my neighbor & fixing her foot massager & fan while we talked. She was moving & was going to throw them out because they didn't work. One had a motor impeded by dirt, the other a loose wire. In exchange for fixing them, she gave me a big box of designer baby & child clothes for free that I brought over to my godchild in Portugal.

If people are throwing them away out of stupidity, I would suspect that a broken belt, impeded motor or clogged tube are some of the more likely culprits. Maybe they even discarded working ones because they bought a new, super-dooper one. I've seen it happen.

If the vacumns can't be salvaged, you can always put them back out at the curb. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I think most vacumn parts are specific to the design so it's not likely that a belt from one will fit another, but you never know. At the very least, you may be able to disassemble them for the screws, nuts, bolts, washers, springs, wheels, electrical cords & various other components.

The brushes & attachments may be useable on your current machine. I saved the old dusting brush & extention from my dead Sears cannister of many years ago. They fit my current Sharp upright. The Sharp has a good attachment for dusting/removing pet hair but it stinks for dusting furniture & ceiling corners. The bristles are too stiff. The old one works just right.

Let us know what happens if you do decide to pick them up.

Laura

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.