Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
What did you think about the Clinton administration's bombing of Serbia? Were you against it? Were you in favor of it? Were you neutral?

Those are good and fair questions. I was horrified at the genocide happening in Serbia, so I did support more intensive US involvement right away, but was very concerned that the bombing would end up being the beginning of a war rather than a jump-start to the cessation of Serbian aggressian.

But it was nothing significantly different than the slaughter and gassing of Kurds and also the mass graves of Shiite Muslims by the Saddam regime.

Hopefully this will make my position very clear: Had we attacked Iraq in direct and immediate response to the atrocities committed against the Kurds I would have supported it. Had the President come before us and Congress and said straight up that we wanted to remove a cruel dictator from power, I would have considered the war in a different manner and can't really say whether I would have ended up supporting it or not. I in fact was neutral/slightly in favor regarding the invasion after seeing Colin Powell's presentation to the UN regarding the WMD evidence. I now see, however, that the President lied outright when he said that 1) we would only use force as a last resort and 2) that we would plan the peace well and 3) that we would work with our allies in these efforts, and because of the misleading on WMD I do not now believe anything he says regarding the true reasons for invading Iraq.

I'm not a peacenik by any means, I just want to see our military used when and where it will do the most good, and I want to be told the truth by my President. That doesn't seem too much to ask, does it?

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.