Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
DH is a self-employed General Contractor, and has typically taken jobs that only require him to complete or that he can sub-contract out to others who are also in business for themselves. But this morning, he brought up the fact that he's thinking about hiring a kid from the local vocational school to help him over the summer. Right away, bells went off for me as this is not the same thing as sub-contracting, and these are not people I could put on a 1099 as he will be training them and highly supervising them. So what I do need to worry about as far as paperwork and such.

The things that immediately came to mind is that he would probably need to change his liability insurance to cover workers, and that he will have to pay FICA on the employee. Also, I have his SIMPLE set up for 3% matching for all employees, so the person would be eligible for that. But what else do I have to do? Does he need a TIN at this point? I've always just used his SSN because it is just him, but it feels like he may now need a TIN instead.

Anybody have any insight or tips on this? I will also call the state as they are typically very helpful, but I thought I'd be able to get some good opinions and input here.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.