Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[What do I need to do to properly report payments made to me in repayment of
a loan I made to another individual? ]]

>It depends on if the loan was simply an "unsecured" >loan, or if the loan was secured with real property.

[[ However, is there a
form I need to file with the IRS and send to this individual to allow him to deduct
the interest payments from his taxes (assuming he is eligible for itemizing his

>Again, the answer is yes. But that form will be >different if the loan is secured by real property or >simply an unsecured loan. If you'll clarify your >question, I'll be happy to provide you with >additional information.

Thanks for the quick response, Roy. It is an unsecured loan made at a market rate.

Don S.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.