Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
What do motives have to do with it?

Interesting comment, considering that you brought up "questioning the motives of scientists" first. Though exactly what's questionable about the motivations of evolutionary biologists isn't clear.

In the case of a well-reasoned, logical argument based on questionable motivations, the argument needs extra scrutiny. To take an example, if the KKK published a "rigorous" study showing that whites were genetically more intelligent than blacks, I'd want a very thorough vetting from outside agencies before I gave it any credibility at all. People with an axe to grind lie, or manipulate study conditions, or at the very least are selectively blind to the data.

Creationists lie routinely about the simplest of facts. Remember this thread? http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26552074

In the case of a poor argument that's emotionally motivated, it's sufficient reason to ignore it entirely. I don't pay a lot of attention to the lunatic fringe that believes in flying saucer abductions, crystal healing, a flat Earth, or that the 9/11 attack was staged by the US military. There are lots of them out there, and if you let them, they'll suck up all of your time.

Just like I question certain aspects of hysterical global warming lunacy.

See? You think the global warming discussion is emotionally motivated, and you count that against it. When it was just the nutters who seemed to hate everything about modern technology, I understood that. But these days it's accepted by the vast majority of climate scientists, people who don't have any emotional stake it in one way or another. Good scientists who are only interested in discovering the right answer, and who don't care which answer is the right one. Which makes it far more credible.

- Gus
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.