Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
What do the Fools here believe are our next best steps to save for FIRE? Since we contribute the max to the Roth IRA we can't contribute any to a Traditional IRA, right?

IRA contributions are capped at $3K per qualifying person.


YOU are not covered by a pension plan (your husband's pension plan doesn't count, when evaluating your situation). Therefore, IF YOU CHOOSE, you can make YOUR (not your husband's) contributions to a conventional IRA - and deduct them from without regard to income level.

If you are planning on withdrawing signifigant amounts of money from an IRA before age 59 1/2, and you are eligible to make deductible contributions to a conventional IRA, then I suggest you seriously consider doing so in preference to Roth contributions - at least to the point that the conventional IRA will cover all such anticipated withdrawals.

Why? Because a Roth IRA gives up the tax deduction on the contributions, in exchange for a tax exemption on the withdrawals - but that tax exemption does not apply to early withdrawals (once they go past the sum of contributions). In other words, if you expect to do early withdrawals you're giving up the tax deduction in exchange for nothing. Contribute to a conventional IRA instead, and you can use the tax savings to fund a second, un-sheltered account.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.