Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
What do y'all think of spending $90/week for a 16-year-old boy to work out with a personal trainer. He has dreams of playing division III football. Good grades, hard worker, can't clean his room but he keeps the lawn mowed.

While DIII can't give athletic scholarships, a desired athlete may have some advantages. Other things being equal, the athlete may be admitted over the nonathlete with the same scores, grades, etc. Depending on the college, if the student is a better student than athlete, they may end up with more merit aid to attend a less selective school.

(If this is too jargony - let me know and I'll try to do better)

Being an athlete in college gives a student an automatic small group when they get there(the better to stay and succeed). For one of my kids, I think athletics was probably the key to him continuing and completing school and he's at a D3 college.

rad
late to the discussion but that will probably continue for awhile

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.