Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
What do you consider “true wealth?”

Bear, that's a good question. I've been the small time investor most of my life. I never had a great income and such.

I think I see true wealth for me this way.

Real estate.

Let's say I get my stock portfolio up to $1,000,000. The SWR will allow me to withdraw roughly $40K a year. That's not bad, but that's not true wealth.

But,what if I can get more real estate, 15, 20, 25, or maybe 50 or more units.

If I keep plugging along, my tenants slowly pay down the mortgages and the properties may also appreciate a bit. If I sell one at a gain, I can 1031 exchange it to get more, and defer any capital gains tax.

And,let's say I literally buy until I die, meaning I keep adding more units even when I'm old. I then get the tax benefits, depreciation and such.

At my death, my heirs can then get my properties at a step up cost basis and reset the clock on taxes.

If I did have 25 or more properties, and the stocks, the cash flow should be more than enough to live on.

And, my net worth would continue to grow every month I'm alive.

It wouldn't be true wealth my many standards, but, to me, it would be.

Does that make sense?

Fool on,

mazske
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.