No. of Recommendations: 0
What do you think of buying an annuity with our 401k funds. My husband is 56 yrs old and totally disabled.He only has 60k in 401k.

I think that since your husband is disabled, he can withdraw whatever amount he wants to from his 401k without paying any penalty (he'll still have to pay taxes).

If the reason you were considering the annuity is to provide monthly payments in a convenient form, I would suggest you roll the entire 401k into a mutual fund company like Vanguard, who offer the service of monthly distributions automatically from any of their funds. Then you could invest it in a fund of your choice, and simply have Vanguard mail you a check every month. Of course you would have to monitor the balance to make sure it was being drawn down (or not drawn down if you are taking only dividends/interest) the way you intended.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.