Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
What does it take to get computer users to make backups of their file systems? Computers, in my experience, have crashed ever since about 1956. And with all the progress since then, they can lose a million times more data now than they did then. Depending on the operating systems, the frequencies of crashes can be quite low.

When a disk head decides to gouge a rut in the platter, it doesn't care what OS you are running.

My last serious backup of a home system took 5 boxes of floppy disks-- 50 floppies. Roughly 70 MB.

Nobody backs up their computers anymore because it just isn't feasible. How do you back up even a 2TB disk? Approximately 8 hours per TB. So, about 16 hours. Unless you want to verify; then add another 16 hours. Don't get me started on "cloud" backups. That's a joke. I cannot imagine how long it would take to upload 1TB.

And these days, 2TB isn't rare in a home computer. I'm seeing 4TB, 6TB, and 8TB desktops advertised all the time.

And people get sloppy. After you've spent an entire weekend doing a backup once a month for 2 years...and never needed to restore anything...you'll soon stop doing backups.

I make a backup automatically onto a removable external hard drive every night when I am normally asleep, and automatically once a week to magnetic tape overnight. Also a backup to tape on the first of the month that goes into the safe deposit box at the bank.

Come on! Magnetic tape??
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.