No. of Recommendations: 0
What mutual fund flavors should I choose?

I'm looking for suggestions or links to articles (or good books people have read) to help me allocate funds in a Roth IRA. How many total funds? What proportion of Large/Mid/Small cap and Growth/Value/Sector? I know it all depends on what I want/my situation/etc., but I wondered if anyone had any good models that they follow. If possible, please back up your assertions with solid reasons. I'm not looking for the names of families, but the different investing classes.

My Plan:

* Make monthly contributions to max out Roth IRA
* Buy only no-load funds
* As I am just started, and have a long time horizon, I am putting everything into stocks (no bond or blended funds).
* Choose the best funds available for each variety, even if it means I have to handle paperwork from 5 or more fund families (I don't mind the paperwork ... though any extra fees this would incur is certainly worth considering!)
* Include at least one index fund (Vanguard total market index)

Any input is most welcome. Thanks!

Mr. Ed
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.