Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What forms are sent with regards to the following so I know where everything would be reported?

401K & IRA withdrawals
Monthly pension payouts
social security

As far as I know (and I'm going to check with the one company) he never contributed to any of his pension plans.

Form 1099R is used to report pensions and 401K or IRA withdrawals. Form SSA-1099 reports Social Security payments (including deductions for Medicare B). You should receive the forms about mid-January.

On the 1099Rs, block 1 reports the gross distribution. If the taxpayer hasn't made any after tax contributions then block 2a (taxable) should be the same as block 1, or be left blank or $0. Typically, a distribution from an IRA will check box 2a, Taxable Amount Not Determined (because the payer doesn't know whether you made any after tax contribution). Block 7 will contain a code (explanations on the back of the 1099) indicating the type of payment. If payment is made from a Roth IRA than the box in block 7 is checked.

Note that you can ask the payer to withhold federal and state tax. This can save you from having to make quarterly payments. Be sure to have enough withheld to equal the total tax paid in the previous year. This is "safe harbor" and protects you from having to pay a penalty if not enough tax is withheld or estimated tax paid during the year.

Hope this helps.

Karl (Tax-Aide volunteer)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.