No. of Recommendations: 2
What fun!

First, where are your 401 and IRA invested? If you plan on investing this money, it should be as part of a porfolio.

Secondly, what are your goals for now and at retirement? How much money will you need?

Finally, my thoughts,

1. 50K to charity of choice. I believe that at one time that Fidelity had a fund that you could invest in and they would make payments to charity of your choice on your behalf.

2. 250K into mutual funds/stocks. If your 401 or IRA is in an index, I'd look for something else as JB indicated and I like DCA individual stocks. See DRIP Boards.

3. 100k into other investment such as starting your own business, 2nd home, or vaction home or Motorhome if you like to travel.

4. 75K into money maket or money market mutual fund. Use for nice annual vacations or leave alone.

5. 25K into laddered (or tiered) CD's or IBonds.

6. Other then #1 and #3 look into other tax write-offs.

7. Use #4 and #5 to suppliment your 401 and IRA if you don't have enough income to max them in the coming years given the maximum will be raised.

Good luck!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.