Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
What great threads on this board!! The level of discussion on this board has been superb lately - what a treat to spend an hour reading posts of this calibre.

Two small comments - I am not entirely sure why Nortel is not discussed more often. I only own a little bit of it, and the more I learn about it, the more I wish I had bought more long ago. It has been dismissed by some as being too mature, but I don't think this is true, despite the fact its Market Cap is pushing $200B - remember, the stock has appreciated 500% in 12 months, and revenues continue to climb (1996 - 12,847,000, 1997 - 15,449,000(21% rise), - 1998 - 17,575,000 (14%) - 1999 - est 22,217,000 (26%). The company also seems to have been quite successful at blurring its boundaries, partly through acquisition, and partly through internal development. It is getting harder to define what parts of the Telecosm Nortel is NOT involved in as time goes by. Basically, I feel guilty for not latching on to it sooner and more heavily - comments?

Secondly, a small personal experience comment regarding speech recognition. True, this technology has improved significantly, and is looking better all the time. Still, in my business, we dictate approximately 1/3 million reports a year, with fairly technical terminology, and every year many companies tell us that SR is now "Ready for Prime Time" - well, it is getting better, but it is still kind of like the dog that can sing - the remarkable thing is not the quality of the song, it is that the dog can sing at all. 95% accuracy rates are actually TERRIBLE - that is an error in almost every sentence. Experienced stenographers in our hospital might make one mistake every 20 to 50 pages or less - quite an astonishing thing, really - LHSP, IBM, Dragon and many other products are still no where near the accuracy we need in our field.

All of the above gives me pause to reflect on the enthusiasm shown for SR companies. Certainly there is much to like about LHSP, but the field, to my view, is a LONG way from Tornado status. I think it has to happen one day, and they are a good bet, but at the moment, speech recognition is a long way from the penetration status of what our old antique 8 track tapes used to enjoy. (I never did buy one of those infernal things)

Just my $.02 worth (or, US$ 0.013614704)
John
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.