Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 16
I just watched Stephen Colbert's interview of Adam Schiff.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert...

The comparison between 9/11 and January 6th is very important to consider. I don't recall anybody denying that 9/11 was a horrible tragedy. But now we have those who want us to believe that somehow the people who wanted to forcefully overthrow the election were patriots. And many of those who are in denial about January 6th are members of Congress.

What happened in 20 years?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 13
What happened was a black man was elected President -- twice.

Scared the bejeesus out of a bunch of white people. And a major ego-blaster. To protect themselves against having THAT happen again, they're willing to do pretty much anything.

SLL
No. of Recommendations: 1
"What happened was a black man was elected President -- twice.

Scared the bejeesus out of a bunch of white people. "

In order for him to be elected it took a lot of white people to vote ...for...him. I don't think they were terribly scared.
After 9/11.... Liberals here:

Told us not to be reactionary.

Or too emotional.

Told us that exploiting people came back on us.

Told us that meddling in people's business led to "blowback" on us.

Also, they didn't like the word "terrorist".

Finally - they wanted us to realize 'why they hate us'.....

Didn't hear much of that after 1/6.

Either way, I'm not emotional about either date.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Scared the bejeesus out of a bunch of white people

While people will be fine.

*401K Tax deferrals

*IRA tax benefits

*529 tax benefits

*SALT DEDUCTIONS

*AMT reform.

Democrats champion things that by and large benefit upper income white people.

Ditto immigration: They want caps on skilled immigrants.

As long as Democrats are around, whites have no worries, as long as they don't let on that they like themselves.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"What happened in 20 years?"

A few things, E.G.:

Greed grew. patience dwindled.

Netflix and other streaming services became commonplace .

The Earth got warmer and the climate changed.

Newspapers, that survived, went heavily digital.

A half Black two term POTUS and his Black wife brought out the worst in the outright and incipient racists.

The Left lost language skills and could not sell their tolerance agenda despite the acceptance of same sex marriages and the growing visibility of the out there gay, stc., population.

Feel free to add to the list!

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 24
"The comparison between 9/11 and January 6th is very important to consider. I don't recall anybody denying that 9/11 was a horrible tragedy. But now we have those who want us to believe that somehow the people who wanted to forcefully overthrow the election were patriots. And many of those who are in denial about January 6th are members of Congress.

What happened in 20 years?"

- Fox "News" and the systematic and deliberate distribution of fake news (lies). Highly partisan, they successfully pandered to the right, and set those who lie and get away with it did as heroes of this new anti-government and anti-science movement. Now, anyone willing to lie in support of their side is good, and anyone not is bad. Being dishonest is now something admirable to the right.

- Donald Trump as a symbol of the same, and a direct result. A long career of 'winning' by cheating and lying. The right admires him for that, and falsely credits him with being a good man, when all evidence show him to be nothing but a con man. That they are currently still willing to have him at the head of their party, having been twice impeached, having twice lost the popular vote, and having lost reelection is a testament to their blind allegiance. They support him in spite of his obvious character flaws, mental issues, immorality, likely criminality, and his utter lack of any ethical backbone. That he still does not understand our government, our Constitution, and the fundamentals of how the world works is apparently of no consequence to them.

- The above has contributed more division to an already divided nation. We now do not value honesty and integrity as we once did. Therein lies our biggest problem, in my view.

And to think the conservatives used to worry that rock music would be our downfall.

Nothing really relevant. The difference isn't in the political environment. It's that 9/11 and 1/6 were two completely different events from a political perspective.

9/11 was planned and committed entirely by foreign actors, unconnected to any domestic political party or movement. While it was certain that the 9/11 Commission would uncover failures large and small by the federal government, those failures were both manifest to everyone at the time and politically manageable.

1/6 stemmed from a political event in support of the leading figure of one of our domestic political parties. It is thus possible, even likely, that an investigation of those events will be incredibly damaging to that political party and major figures within it.

This was a risk that wasn't present with 9/11, so people are acting differently than they did with 9/11. If 1/6 had happened 20 years ago, I think we would have seen exactly the same thing happen then as is happening now.

Albaby
No. of Recommendations: 17
What happened was a black man was elected President -- twice.

Scared the bejeesus out of a bunch of white people. And a major ego-blaster. To protect themselves against having THAT happen again, they're willing to do pretty much anything.

Nailed it!

Racism runs deep in the crew that stormed the Capitol. And Donald Trump was a master at fanning the flames of racism without ever using the "N" word. But without racism, he never would have been elected president!

And look at the states that refuse to accept the fact that January 6th was an attempt to violently overthrow our government. RED, RED, RED....

Of course there are other factors involved. I'll respond again.
No. of Recommendations: 3
In order for him to be elected it took a lot of white people to vote ...for...him. I don't think they were terribly scared.

No, we weren’t.
No. of Recommendations: 17
9/11 was planned and committed entirely by foreign actors, unconnected to any domestic political party or movement.

Absolutely true. But look how Trump twisted the event to make it racist. Banning Muslims from coming to America. Telling stories about how they watched the Towers from Jersey City and cheered.

Muslims...Blacks....what's the difference? Trump was elected to protect us from "them."

1/6 stemmed from a political event in support of the leading figure of one of our domestic political parties. It is thus possible, even likely, that an investigation of those events will be incredibly damaging to that political party and major figures within it.

We don't need an investigation to tell us who is guilty of protecting the domestic terrorists. Just look for the people with an "R" after their name. When their leader lost the election, there was a very brief moment when they almost became decent human beings. After all, the "Hang Mike Pence" crowd could have easily hung one of THEM. But things calmed down, and they saw Trump as a greater threat than domestic terrorists. Imagine THAT!

I'm going to disagree with you, Al. SOMETHING happened since 9/11. Was it the sum of many somethings?

One last thought. When COVID overwhelmed the country, what did the Republicans do? They looked to Trump for leadership. Remember when he ripped his mask off on the steps of the White House. Remember all of the other idiotic things he did that prolonged the pandemic?

And look no further than Florida and Texas, where two mini-Trump governors are doing their best to continue to foul up efforts to finally get COVID under control.
No. of Recommendations: 5

In 2008, 43% of Whites voted for Obama, and 55% for McCain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_United_States_presidentia...

The split between the Red and Blue states has only gotten worse through the Trump years, because it was nurtured by Trump!

But I think that ANGER would be a better word than FEAR. Trumpsters feel that "their" country was taken away from them. The Blacks and others are taking over. Gotta stop that!

Right, boater?
"The Blacks and others are taking over. Gotta stop that!

Right, boater?"

Nope, wrong. Let the democratic process work by electing leaders of any background and let them work within the constraints of the existing laws of the land, unlike what is happening now.
I'm going to disagree with you, Al. SOMETHING happened since 9/11. Was it the sum of many somethings?

Lots of somethings have happened since 9/11, of course. The political environment always changes, after all. The existence of social media and smartphones have changed how we experience events as well - 1/6 has a very different impact if you don't have cell phone video and photos of every last detail of the event.

But I think we have to recognize that there are differences between the 1/6 and 9/11 events themselves that explain a lot of the disparate treatment. Assigning culpability for the former directly threatens the electoral prospects of one of our political parties in a way that the latter never did. While it is not disappointing, it is not the least bit surprising that the political party in jeopardy has responded by closing ranks and trying to protect itself from accountability.

So while the aftermath of a 2000's era 1/6 riot would certainly have had some different characteristics than what we're seeing today (especially if there were a different personality involved), I think we would still see the GOP trying to minimize, recontextualize, and shove down the memory hole everything about it. There was no way that we were ever going to have the same kind of bi-partisan approach to the aftermath, because the event itself had a partisan tilt.

Albaby
"In order for him to be elected it took a lot of white people to vote ...for...him. I don't think they were terribly scared.

No, we weren’t."

You just proved my point, thank you.

Fox News and the right wing echo chamber decided the truth didn't matter and began to tell terrible lies every 20 minutes 24/7. Far too many Americans liked that.

I went bald.
No. of Recommendations: 8

I think we would still see the GOP trying to minimize, recontextualize, and shove down the memory hole everything about it.
-Albaby

Really?
If the 1/6 insurrectionists had all been big black men with clubs there would be no day for the next century that Republicans wouldn't bring it up.
Really?
If the 1/6 insurrectionists had all been big black men with clubs there would be no day for the next century that Republicans wouldn't bring it up.

I completely agree - but that's rather my point. Because the 1/6 rioters were Republicans (and Trump supporters more specifically), the GOP is trying to minimize the importance of the event. And they would have done had this taken place in 2000 as well. That's a key difference between 1/6 and 9/11 when it comes to the GOP response - the latter event was not perpetrated by Republicans, so there was no political risk to the party in acknowledging and exploring how terrible an event it was.

Albaby
-----------
No, we weren’t.

So tell us how you feel now. Scared yet?
So tell us how you feel now. Scared yet?

Of Obama? Hardly.

Of Trump and his merry band of authoritarians, racists and insurrectionists?

Or of Democrats who seem loathe to exercise their constitutional powers?

You bet.
"Or of Democrats who seem loathe to exercise their constitutional powers?
You bet."

Yes, I wish they would exercise their powers to incarcerate criminals rather than release them into the general population, I wish that they would exercise their powers to perform a ...controlled...immigration policy at our borders, I wish that they would prosecute dangerous criminals rather than letting them go out on no bail bond or not even charge them at all, I wish that they would stop defunding police and let them do their jobs and stop the blatant shoplifting and looting, and I also wish that they would exercise some leadership and clean up the poop cities that are being built in numerous cities in this once proud country.

You should be scared.
Fear :)
boater123: I wish they would exercise their powers to incarcerate criminals rather than release them into the general population...

You're misinformed or confused.

Criminalizing asylum seekers is illegal. International law prohibits using the criminal justice system or prolonged administrative detention to deter and discourage bona fide asylum-seekers from asserting and proving their claims.
" to deter and discourage bona fide asylum-seekers from asserting and proving their claims."

That's for immigrants that legally enter the country.

The illegal entries have, by entering illegally,already broken the law.

I know, just because this Administration doesn't enforce the law, it still IS the law.
"You're misinformed or confused.

Criminalizing asylum seekers is illegal. International law prohibits using the criminal justice system or prolonged administrative detention to deter and discourage bona fide asylum-seekers from asserting and proving their claims."

Really, you really want to claim this as a reasoned response...sad. The confusion seems to be on your part, there is nothing in International law that says a nation must give up an orderly process of controlling immigration, if you think that there is I would really like you to post it here for all to see.