Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here is a question I asked on the Tax Strategies board, but I didn't get any takers. I guess it is probably a bit beyond what most people have ever needed to worry about, but I thought I'd try on this board just in case anybody has any ideas.

I'm a Canadian citizen living in the US, permanent resident, filing only a US tax return. That will remain the case until I retire. On retirement I might stay in the US, or I might move permanently back to Canada.

If I stay in the US my retirement finances are clear; the IRS calls the shots. If I have money in a Roth IRA, then at the appropriate time I'll be able to take distributions tax free.

I have no idea what the situation would be if I moved back to Canada and was filing a Canadian tax return. I know there are complementary taxation agreements between the US and Canada, but I don't know if that means my Roth distributions would be treated as tax-free in Canada. If not, then it is highly unlikely that I'd ever want to do a rollover from an IRA to a Roth IRA (unless I yanked all the money out of the Roth before moving, but then it wouldn't be invested as long and I probably wouldn't gain anything from the conversion).

Any ideas?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.