Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
what happens when its down to crunch time and you dont receive your w2 forms or other necessary papers from your bank/employer/brokerge?

The only third-party documents that you need for filing your return are those that show tax withheld. You don't need the bank and brokerage 1099's (if they didn't withhold tax). You can prepare the return from your meticulous records without them.

If you couldn't sit down today and prepare your return, vow to keep better records this year. If you don't have records, how do you know the numbers the third parties are reporting are correct?

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.