Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
What I am wondering is how am I supposed to include this in my taxes as a stock sale?

My wondering first. What do your notes show about this cash-in-lieu payment? You know, the work you did back at the time of the spinoff to determine all the tax effects of the spinoff. If you didn't do that, you're going to have to some day, so now's as good a time as any. If you can't find the guidelines you were sent back then, try investor relations, or maybe someone on the stock's TMF board can help.

Once we know what the numbers are we'll also need to know exactly how this is being shown on your no doubt "consolidated" 1099 from the broker. I'm seeing all sorts of garbage on these, with the same transaction reported three or four times. In the part that's straight 1099-B (no supplemental information):

1. what does it say about "covered" vs "noncovered" or A vs B?
2. what entries are in what columns?

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.